If you’re looking for the best chocolate cake filling ideas, we’ve got your covered! From rich chocolate ganache to a thick strawberry cake filling, these recipes are utterly irresistible!
When it comes to chocolate cake, the first thing that comes to mind is the comfort of its rich, cocoa-infused layers. But what truly makes each chocolate cake unique is the delicious fillings you’ll find in between each chocolate cake layer.
It doesn’t matter if you’re looking to fill a chocolate layer cake, chocolate sponge cake, or chocolate Swiss roll cake, or even chocolate cupcakes, we’ve got a comprehensive list of the best whipped cream fillings, ganaches, fruit filling, buttercream frostings, and more to fill your favorite chocolate cake recipe!
One of the most common ways to fill a chocolate cake is with more chocolate! Chocolate with chocolate is so decadent and delicious, you really can’t go wrong. Here are some chocolate filling option for your chocolate cake:
Peanut Butter Fillings
Peanut butter and chocolate is such a classic combination. And these peanut butter fillings pair perfectly with chocolate cake:
Buttercream frostings are one of the most common fillings for chocolate cake! You really can’t go wrong with your favorite buttercream. Here are some of my favorite options:
Fruits like strawberries, oranges, cherries, and blackberries pair really well with chocolate cakes! You can use your favorite jams or jellies, or try some of these fun fruit options:
More fun filling ideas
Here are some more fun filling ideas:
Best chocolate cake filling combinations:
- S’mores Cake: Fill the cake with marshmallow frosting, chocolate ganache, and a sprinkle of crushed graham crackers. Cover with chocolate frosting and you have a delicious S’mores cake.
- Caramel Marshmallow: Caramel and marshmallow is a great combo, it reminds me of Scotchmallow candies!
- Pastry Cream and Fruit: Try filling a chocolate cake with pastry cream paired with fresh strawberries or raspberries. Delicious!
- Double Strawberry Chocolate: I love filling chocolate cake with both strawberry frosting and strawberry cake filling. It’s so good!
The Best Filling Ideas For Chocolate Cake
Peanut Butter Fillings
- Make your favorite chocolate cake and let cool completely before filling.
- Frost and fill cake with your desired filling.
- If making a layer cake check out this post about frosting and filling a perfect layer cake.
- For softer fillings such as jams, strawberry fillings, caramel, pipe a boarder of a firmer frosting such as buttercream around the edge of the cake layer. Then add the filing.
- These also make great chocolate cupcake fillings!