Rich, Moist, Chocolate filled Devil’s Food Cake. With 5 minute prep time this easy and delicious recipe can’t be beat!
Rich chocolate devil’s food cake is such a classic treat. It’s perfect all year round and is a real crowd pleaser at your next dinner party or holiday gathering. And this devil’s food cake recipe is deviously easy to make.
What is Devil’s Food Cake?
Devil’s food cake is a moist, very rich chocolate cake. It’s often considered the counterpart to the very light and fluffy angel food cake. While very similar to a traditional chocolate cake recipes tend to have more chocolate and therefore a darker color.
Is this a recipe using devil’s food cake mix?
Yup! Stay with me though. If you’re opposed to box mixes, I promise you will not be able to tell! This is actually my Grandmother’s favorite cake and she hated anything pre-made. Growing up, we always called it Uncle Ronnie’s Cake, although I’ve never been able to find a cake with that name online. It ends up this recipe is in The Cake Mix Doctor. But, there are similar recipes floating around the internet. And for food reason, this cake is delicious.
And if you’re not opposed to a box mix and actually looking for a way to doctor up a chocolate or devil’s food cake mix, you’ve found the right recipe! It’s so quick and easy, making it perfect for potlucks, dinner parties, and holidays like Mother’s Day and Father’s Day. Put the kids to work and have them make it!
Okay, so how do I make this devil’s food cake mix hack?
That’s the beauty of a box mix hack like this. It’s so easy! You can have this cake in the oven in 5 minutes flat. Put all the ingredients, minus the chocolate chips, in a bowl and mix.
Then, stir in the chocolate chips and viola, you’re ready to bake the cake. And it always comes out perfectly moist and delicious, every time. And just like any box mix it can be made into a layer cake, bundt cake, or my favorite – cupcakes! You can top it with chocolate ganache, buttercream frosting, or raspberry coulis. It’s the perfect chocolate cake and no one would ever know it came from a box.
So, if you’re on the fence about making it, just go for it! 5 minutes plus bake time to moist, delicious, chocolate devil’s food cake!
Deviously Easy Devil's Food Cake
- 1 Box Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 1 package 4.5 oz instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup water
- 4 eggs
- Optional: 1 cup (or more!) chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare baking pan of choice with butter/flour or non-stick baking spray. Place all ingredients except chocolate chips into a mixing bowl and mix until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips
- Pour mixture into prepared pans and bake according to the directions on the box or until you can poke it with a toothpick and it comes out clean.
- Let cool in pans. If covering with frosting, make sure the cake is completely cool before you frost it so the frosting does not melt. Enjoy!