The classic Corpse Reviver No. 2 is a light and refreshing lemony gin cocktail, perfect for hair of the dog just as the name implies!
Corpse Reviver no. 2 is the most popular of the corpse reviver cocktails, which are a family of classic cocktails known for their hangover curing qualities.
While the name sounds grim, the cocktail itself is lemony and very light and refreshing. It’s totally delicious and perfect for any time of the day.
The cocktail was originally made with Kina Lillet, a French Apertif wine, but unfortunately that is no longer available so Lillet Blanc is commonly used and what I use most often, as it is readily available in most liquor and grocery stores.
But, if you’re looking for a liquor that more closely resembles the original recipe you can use Cocchi Americano.
How to Make
This is so easy to make! First add a splash of absinthe into you glass and swirl around.
Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add the remaining ingredients. You can also add the splash of absinthe directly into the cocktail shaker rather than swirling in the glass.
Shake until combined. Pour into a chilled cocktail or coupe glass. That’s it! Garnish with lemon and enjoy.
Tips and Tricks
- These dried lemon slices make a great garnish as do cocktail cherries.
- For a more traditional Corpse Reviver 2, try Cocchi Americano instead of Lillet Blanc.
- Be warned, these taste delicious but they are strong! As the original recipe stated “Four of these taken in swift succession will unrevive the corpse again.”
Looking for more cocktail recipes? Check these out!
Corpse Reviver No 2
- Cocktail Shaker and Strainer
- Cocktail Glass
- 1 oz. Dry Gin
- 1 oz. Orange Liqueur such as Cointreau
- 1 oz. Lillet Blanc or Cocchi Americano
- 1 oz. fresh lemon juice
- 1 dash Absinthe
- Add a splash of absinthe into you glass and swirl around.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add the remaining ingredients. You can also add the splash of absinthe directly into the cocktail shaker rather than swirling in the glass.
- Shake until combined.
- Pour into a chilled cocktail or coupe glass.
- That’s it! Garnish with lemon and enjoy.