Cherry vodka sour is a fun and fruity take on the classic vodka sour cocktail. With grenadine and sour mix this pretty pink cocktail is a great summer cocktail you can make in less than 5 minutes.
Isn’t this a pretty drink? And, it’s so simple to make!
It’s a sour cocktail, similar to a whiskey or vodka sour. Sours cocktails are typically comprised of the alcohol, citrus (often lemon), and a sweetener (such as sugar, sour mix, or simple syrup). And, an optional egg whites to froth up the drink.
- Vodka: You can use your favorite vodka but I think Cherry vodka goes great with this recipe!
- Sour Mix: Check out my homemade sour mix recipe or the below section on substitutions
- Grenadine: You adjust the amount of grenadine to taste. More will be sweeter. I prefer about 1/2 oz.
- Egg White (optional, for shaken cocktails): Boxed, pasteurized egg whites make this super easy!
- Cherries: I prefer good old maraschino cherries you can also garnish with mint, orange slices, lemon slices, or anything else you think sounds delicious!
Sour Mix Substitutions
This recipe uses sour mix, also knows as sweet and sour mix.
Most pre-made sour mix is artificially colored and flavored. Because of this, I used my own homemade mix, which is absolutely delicious and so easy to make! It was really take your cocktails to the next level.
But, if you don’t feel like making your own you can use the store bought mix or the following easy substitutions:
- Juice of ½ Lemon
- 1 oz simple syrup
Don’t have simple syrup?
Just use the juice of ½ lemon and a splash of carbonated water, 7 up, or Sprite (I don’t recommend putting carbonated drinks in a cocktail shaker so be sure to pour it on top of the shaken vodka/lemon mix.)
Did you know whiskey and vodka sours originally had egg whites to foam while they were shaken? It’s so common now for recipes to skip this step, but it is really delicious if you want to try it!
I recommend used boxed pasteurized egg whites.
How to make
This is such an easy cocktail!
Put all the ingredients in a shake with ice. Shake. Pour. Garnish ( I used maraschino cherry and these cute cocktail sticks). That’s it!
If you’re serving on the rocks, just pour all ingredients over ice and give it a stir. Can’t get any simpler than that.
This drink is perfect for:
- Valentine’s Day
- Bridal Showers
- Bachelorette Parties
- Wedding Cocktail
- Mother’s Day Drink
- Summer BBQ
- Happy Hour!
Honestly, similar to this blueberry lemonade recipe, this cocktail is so easy it’s really great any time of year but the citrus and cherry flavor really stand out in spring or summer.
Cherry Vodka Sour
- 2 oz vodka
- 2 oz sour mix see notes
- 1/2 oz grenadine adjust to taste
- 1 egg white for shaken cocktails, optional
- cocktail cherries for garnish
- Pour ice, vodka, sour mix, grenadine, and optional egg white into a shaker.
- Shake 15 to 30 seconds.
- Pour into cocktail glass.
- Garnish with cherry and enjoy!
On The Rocks
- Pour vodka, sour mix, and a grenadine in a glass over ice.
- Garnish with a cherry and enjoy!
- The egg white is optional for shaken cocktails but gives it a nice frothy consistency. I recommend using boxed, pasteurized egg whites.
- You can use 1 oz lemon juice (about 1/2 to 1 lemon) and 1 oz simple syrup in place of the sour mix.