This simple yellow cupcake recipe makes cupcakes that are moist and slightly dense, perfect for holding a big pile of frosting. Using only a handful of ingredients and one bowl, it’s easy to whip up a batch of these homemade treats for birthdays, holidays, or other fun events!
How to Make Yellow Cupcakes
This yellow cupcake recipe is so easy! You’ll want to put all the dry ingredients in the bowl of standing mixer. Then, you add the room temperature butter, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla and mix until just combined testoviron 250. That’s it! You can use a measuring cup or ice cream scoop to put ¼ cup batter into each cupcake lined tin and bake the cupcakes.
Yellow Cupcake Recipe Substitutions
This yellow cupcake recipe is very versatile and easy to adapt. You can substitute cake flour for regular flour if you want a lighter cupcake. You can also substitute whole milk or buttermilk for the sour cream. I’ve made these with whole milk and they still tasted really good! But, the batter will be much runnier than in the pictures. With either substitution you’ll get a lighter and more dome shaped cupcake than in the picture as well.
Tips for making homemade yellow cupcakes:
- Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature. This is very important for making sure the cupcakes are moist and not too dense. If you forget you can get your eggs and sour cream container (tightly closed) to room temperature by putting them in a bowl of warm water for a 5-10 minutes. Butter only takes about 30 minutes sitting out to soften, but if you’re in a hurry you can you can also get your butter and sour cream to room temperature in the microwave, using the lowest defrost setting at 10-15 second intervals (be very careful with the butter – it’s so easy to melt in the microwave, even at the lowest setting!).
- Using an ice cream scoop makes adding the batter to the cupcakes a breeze. If you don’t have an ice cream scoop using ¼ cup or 4 tablespoons also works.
- Do not frost your cupcakes until they are fully cooled down. Otherwise the frosting will melt all over the cupcakes into a big mess.
- Since this yellow cupcake recipe is so easy to make, they’re best the day you make them. But, you can keep them in an airtight container for 2-3 day.
Frosting for Yellow Cupcakes
The nice thing about these cupcakes is that pretty much any type of frosting will be delicious!! In these pictures I’m using my simple lemon buttercream. Here are some of my other favorites:
This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase through the link, Partylicious may be compensated at no additional cost to you. This has no impact on our recommendations and this income helps to keep this site running! Thanks for your support!
Yellow Cupcake Recipe
- 1 ½ cups unbleached flour 7.5 oz
- 1 cup sugar 7 oz
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 stick butter 8 tbsp
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour 15 oz
- 2 cups sugar 14oz
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 sticks butter 16 tbsp
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 whole large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cupcake pan with liners.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in the bowl of a standing mixer with a paddle attachment.
- Add butter, sour cream, egg, egg yolks, and vanilla.
- Slowly mix until just combined, about 30 seconds.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and continue to hand mix with a spatula until the flour is fully combined. You want to try and not overmix it.
- Add 4 tablespoons of batter (¼ cup) into each cupcake holder (using an ice cream scoop makes this so easy!)
- Bake until you can stick a toothpick into the center of the cupcakes and they come out clean, about 20-24 minutes.
- Let cool 5-10 minutes in the pan, then remove all the cupcakes to finish cooling on a wire rack. Do not frost them until they are fully cooled down.
- Frost with frosting of choice, or eat plain!
Other Cake and Cupcake Recipes: