Chocolate covered oranges are a delicious, easy, and healthy snack made in 30 minutes with only three ingredients!
Chocolate covered oranges are a sweet and healthy treat made by dipping orange slices into melted chocolate. They’re an easy and family friendly activity that kids will love helping out with.
Similar to chocolate covered strawberries, these chocolate oranges are often found in edible arrangements and around the holidays. But, these are so easy to make, this homemade version offers a sweet and refreshing treat any time of year. And, they make a great gift too!
Type of Chocolate
You can use your favorite chocolate – chocolate chips, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, white chocolate, even sugar free chocolate. Just make sure if using a chocolate bar that it’s finely chopped before melting to ensure it melts evenly.
Type of Oranges
This recipe works with any type of orange such as naval and mandarin oranges. This is also great for tangerines and clementines, as long as they’ve been peeled first.
How to Make
Step 1: Prep
- Peel and/or slice oranges
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, wax paper, or a silicone baking mat
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil or vegetable shortening in a microwave in 20-30 second internals, stirring in between until it’s melted and smooth.
Step 2: Dip Oranges
Working quickly, dip the orange slices into the melted chocolate and place them on the prepared baking sheet. While the chocolate orange slices are still wet, add any additional toppings such as sea salt or a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Step 3: Let harden and enjoy!
Place the dipped oranges in the refrigerator to harden, about 20 minutes. You can also let harden at room temperature but it will take a bit longer. Then, enjoy!
While chocolate and orange is a great flavor combination on its own, you can sprinkle on some of the following to elevate these fun treats:
- Flakey sea salt
- Shredded coconut
- Crushed nuts such as pistachios, walnuts, or almonds
These chocolate dipped oranges will last 2-3 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Chocolate Covered Oranges
- 2 oranges
- 1 ½ cups chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil or vegetable shortening
- Sea salt
- Chopped nuts
- Shredded coconut
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper, parchment paper, or a silicone baking mat.
- Using a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave in 20- 30 second internals. Stir in between each interval until melted and smooth.
- Working quickly, dip the orange slices into the melted chocolate and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- While the chocolate is still wet, sprinkle with any optional toppings if desired.
- Place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to set then enjoy!