Unicorn popcorn is the perfect DIY treat or snack for unicorn themed parties or events. This tutorial shows you how to make this fun kids treat using white chocolate, sprinkles, and any other fun topping ideas you can think of! Be sure to try this easy recipe for your next unicorn or magical themed party.
Where to find Unicorn Popcorn?
I seems like Unicorn Popcorn is everywhere! You can get it from Popcornopolis, or on Amazon. I’ve heard you can even buy it at Costco. But, why buy it when you can make it yourself for much cheaper and healthier. Plus, if you make it yourself you can customize it exactly how you want it. I personally like to use regular pre-made bagged popcorn that you can find in any grocery store, in either sea salt or kettle corn. Or you can even air pop your own popcorn.
How to make unicorn popcorn
Unicorn popcorn is so easy to make and as mentioned, you can tailor the colors, flavors, and topping to exactly how you want. You can even have it match your popcorn boxes, bags, and other party decor.
For this unicorn popcorn, first I sprayed the popcorn using edible luster spray. Then, I used candy melts in pink, purple, and white. I melted the chocolate and put it in pastry bags, but you can also drip it over the popcorn using a spoon. After I poured the chocolate on the popcorn, I added a ton of sprinkles while the chocolate was still melted. After I let it dry, I mixed it up, spread it out again on my parchment lined baking sheet, and added more chocolate and sprinkles. This helps to ensure that the popcorn is evenly covered in chocolate and toppings. You can even do it three times if you want it really full of chocolate. Then you let it dry, break it apart, and that’s it! Fun and tasty unicorn popcorn.
Tips for Making Unicorn Popcorn
- Use colored chocolate melts in the colors you want or buy candy food coloring, which is oil based and won’t cause your white chocolate melts or white chocolate to separate. You can not add regular or gel food coloring to white chocolate or it will get grainy.
- Used bagged popcorn or if you’re making your own, air pop it.
- For each color I used about 1/2 cup of candy melts. But, the amount of chocolate will vary depending on how much popcorn you’re making, how many different colors you’re using, and how many times you decide to mix up and re-cover the popcorn with chocolate and toppings.
- Why stop at unicorn popcorn – try making galaxy popcorn with dark purple and black candy melts and galaxy sprinkles, or mermaid popcorn with blue, purple, and green candy melts and sprinkles like this!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase through the link, dragon pharma may be compensated at no additional cost to you. This has no impact on our recommendations and this income helps to keep this site running! Thanks for your support!
- Baking pan
- Parchment or wax paper
- 1 Bag Popcorn sea salt or kettle corn
- Candy Melts color of your choice
- Luster Spray
- More Sprinkles
- Put a piece of parchment or wax paper onto a baking pan
- Spread out popcorn evenly on the parchment so it is in a single layer.
- If using luster spray, spray over the popcorn.
- Melt your candy melts according to directions. Using three colors, I used about ½ cup of each color per bag of popcorn.
- Using either a pastry bag or spoon, drip the melted chocolate all over the popcorn.
- White the chocolate is still wet, add sprinkles any other toppings you desire.
- Let dry completely.
- Optional: mix up the popcorn and spread evenly over the parchment again. Repeat with adding more melted chocolate and toppings.
Other Chocolate Covered Desserts: