Sweetened Condensed Milk Frosting (Russian Buttercream)
Also known as Russian buttercream, this easy sweetened condensed milk frosting uses only two ingredients and can be made in 15 minutes!
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature, see notes if using salted butter
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract optional
- ¼ tsp salt optional
Using a whip attachment with a standing mixer or hand held mixer with a large bowl, whip softened butter on high about 5-10 minutes until very pale and light and fluffy. It should double or triple in size. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed to ensure all the butter is whipped.
Once the butter has been whipped, slowly add the sweetened condensed milk in 3 or 4 additions, mixing in between each addition, scraping down the bowl with a spatula as needed.
If the buttercream looks separated or curdled, place in the fridge for 15-20 minutes and then re-whip. It should come back together to a smooth frosting.
Mix in optional vanilla and salt and it’s ready to use on your favorite cakes and cupcakes.
- If using salted butter, omit any extra added salt.
- Make sure your butter is at room temperature. You want it softened so it can properly incorporate the condensed milk.
- You can easily color this frosting with food coloring. I highly recommend gel food coloring for more vibrant colors that will not add any extra liquid to the buttercream.
- If piping the frosting on cakes and cupcakes, it can help to chill the frosting 10-20 minutes before piping the frosting.
- This recipe makes 2.5-3 cups frosting. This is enough to cover about 18-24 cupcakes (depending on how much frosting you use) or a 9x13 inch cake.
- Russian buttercream is so easy to make, it’s best the day it is made but it will last up to a week in the fridge in an airtight container or up to two months in the freezer.
- If making ahead of time, let come to room temperature and then rewhip before using.
Serving: 2tbsp | Calories: 162kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 62mg | Potassium: 85mg | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 374IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 1mg