This classic Ermine frosting uses flour and milk roux as a base, which is then whipped with butter until you get a light and delicious frosting.
Servings: 20 servings
- 1 cup whole milk see notes for milk alternatives
- 5 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar can add an extra 1/4 cup for a slightly sweeter frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter see notes for using salted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
In a medium saucepan mix milk, sugar, and flour over medium heat, about 2-4 minutes until the mixture starts to bubble and thicken. You’re looking for a pudding like consistency.
Once it’s thickened, transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let cool for 1-2 hours at room temperature or 30-40 minutes in the fridge. You want to make sure the mixture is completely cool before moving to he next step or else it can melt your butter.
In the bowl of standing mixer or using a large bowl with a hand held mixer, beat the softened butter 3-5 minutes until pale yellow.
Slowly add the cooled flour mixture 1-2 tablespoons at time, making sure it is fully incorporated before adding more.
Once you’d added all the flour roux, turn up the speed and mix another 3-5 minutes until light and fluffy.
Add vanilla, salt, and any other flavorings and remix until combined. Enjoy!
- While this recipe uses whole mix, you can you your favorite milk or milk alternative.
- When cooling the roux mixture, put the plastic wrap directly on the roux so it doesn’t form a film on top.
- Make sure the roux is at room temperature before adding to the butter (otherwise it will melt the butter!)
- If using salted butter, omit added salt or reduce it to just a pinch.
- Like most buttercream frosting recipes, whip the butter for at least 3-5 minutes before adding anything. This helps for a really light and fluffy frosting.
- If the frosting seems too soft after whipping, put back in the fridge for 20-30 minutes and re-whip.
- This frosting will last up a week in the fridge or up to two months in the freeze, tightly wrapped. When ready to use, let come to room temperature and re-whip.
Serving: 2tbsp | Calories: 125kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 36mg | Potassium: 21mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 303IU | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 1mg