Cookie Dough Frosting
This delicious buttercream frosting tastes just like chocolate chip cookie dough! It’s a delicious filling for cakes, cookies and topping cupcakes and brownies. Plus you can make a batch in less than 15 minutes so try it on your favorite dessert today!
- 1 cup softened butter (2 sticks) salted or unsalted, see notes
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour baked and cooled
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp milk or cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
If you haven't done so, bake the flour at 350℉ for 3-5 minutes or microwave for 1 minutes, stirring every 15 seconds. This will kill any bacteria that might be in the flour. Be sure to let it cool completely before adding to the buttercream or it will melt the butter.
Using a standing mixer or hand held mixer with paddle attachment, cream the 2 sticks butter, salt, and ½ cup brown sugar on medium high for 2-3 minutes until very light and fluffy.
Turn the mixer off and add the powdered sugar. Mix on low until incorporated. Once incorporated turn to medium and mix another minute.
Add flour, mix on low until incorporated, then mix on medium another minute.
Add 2 tbsp milk or cream and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Mix on medium low until combined, then mix another minute on medium until light and fluffy.
Using a spatula gently fold in the chocolate.
- If using salted butter, cut the salt in the recipe to ¼ tsp.
- When making this frosting, make sure to cream the butter and brown sugar first to get it as creamy as possible. If you add it out of the order of the recipe it can get a little grainy.
- Because of the chocolate chips, you’re not able to pipe the frosting with a pastry bag. It works best for spreading on the inner layers of a cake, spooning onto macarons or sandwich cookies, or my favorite, using an ice cream scoop to scoop on cupcakes! You can also pipe the frosting first and add the chocolate chips after.
- I used mini chocolate chips, but you can chop up regular chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, M&Ms, or your favorite chocolate bar.
- More Questions? Check out this American buttercream frosting recipe for more common American buttercream questions and answers such as how much a typical batch of frosting will cover, and how long frosted cakes and cupcakes can sit out.
- Recipe adapted from Raspberri Cupcakes
Serving: 2tbsp | Calories: 175kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 21mg | Sodium: 123mg | Potassium: 13mg | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 255IU | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 0.3mg